For developers, sometimes we need to work on several Operating systems with Virtual Machines. Oracle Virtual Box is free and a better solution for virtual machines. When you need to create a small network with Active directory, you have to install the virtual machine as following settings. This worked for me.
After setting above you can add your host machine to the AD of the server you have setup on the virtual machine.
On windows 8 it is very convenient to switch between the two different systems.
- Visit CakePHP website
- Download the CakePHP Framework
- You must have setup a local webserver. If not, install Zend Server Community Edition and MySQL. Download Zend server and install it. If you are not installing MySQL as separate installation you can choose it with Zend server installation also. You can install it separately, do this as you wish.
- Create a database called “cakephp”.
- Go to Zend Server web root it will be “C:\Program Files\Zend\Apache2\htdocs”.
- Extract CakePHP Framework to your web root and re name with the version (Eg. cake_1_3 or cakephp, here I used cakephp).
Your CakePHP project folder Structure will be as follows,
- Open database.php on the cakephp app/config directory, and set host, login, password and save the work.
- Open core.php on the same directory and change Security.salt and Security.cipherSeed values for different (for tests, simply put additional character at the end).
- Now open “C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts” file in a notepad and add following at the end,
- Open Apache2 configuration file (httpd.conf) at “C:\Program Files\Zend\Apache2\conf” and add the following virtual host.
DocumentRoot “C:\Program Files\Zend\Apache2\htdocs\cakephp\app\webroot”
<Directory “C:\Program Files\Zend\Apache2\htdocs\cakephp\app\webroot”>
- Copy “cake” folder from your cakephp folder and paste it in “C:\Program Files\Zend\ZendServer\share”.
- Open Environmental Variables and change the “path” and add “C:\Program Files\Zend\ZendServer\share\cake\console” at the end of the paths.
- Save all changes and RESTART windows.
- Access http://cakephp on your browser. It should work.
- Now start developing, app folder is the folder you need to work.
- Open Command Prompt and change the directory to your cake app drirectory, use following
cd C:\Program Files\Zend\Apache2\htdocs\cakephp\app
- Press Enter and enter command cake
- You should get as follows,
- Now you can bake your cake..
For novice only, I remember I found this article three years back. We must be thankful for Dr. Robert Kline for the generous contribution of this article for its’ timely updates. This online guide is the most updated wamp configuration guide. I have written a easy guide for Ubuntu. This is the best guide for windows. Read it.
1. Download the latest copy of Ubuntu
2. You should have installed Deamon Tools Lite or install it
3. Mount the image of Ubuntu ….desktop-i386.iso
4. Run with wubi.exe on mount, it gives auto run
5. Click on install inside windows
6. select the drive
7. That’s it… If you want to uninstall go to windows -> programs -> uninstall ubuntu